May 10, 2014 by permanentred
BAOT shop stewards play a vital role in defending jobs and services. Here’s why you should join us.
- It’s a great way to stay informed about what’s going on in occupational therapy. You get national updates and news from fellow stewards about what’s going on in their workplaces.
- Occupational Therapy services are less vulnerable to reorganisations, cuts and downbanding when there’s a shop steward there. Local shop stewards are ideally placed to respond to organisational changes as they really know how the service works and what the impact on patients would be.
- It’s a great way to develop leadership skills. You would take a lead in helping your colleagues organise not only around trade union issues but also around professional issues such as staff/patient ratios and duty of care issues.
- You get lots of training, both through the Unison region and via the national BAOT stewards network. We arrange a two-day training seminar for stewards every year.
- You should get time allowed in your job for your shop steward role. Your local Unison branch can help negotiate this.
- You can turn to your fellow shop stewards for advice when you need it. They have a wealth of experience and skills.
If you’re interested, just drop an email to Baotgreaterlondon@unison.co.uk. No commitment, no pressure. There’s a seminar for new Unison stewards in London on 1st July which could get you off to a great start.